- All absences are unexcused unless a note is brought in within five days of your return to school.
- You can get a Certificate of Attendance for your driver’s license with 24 hours’ notice at the Attendance office. Same day service is not available.
Attendance Contract (FCBOE District Policy: JBD)
Regardless of the reason, students who are marked absent for ten or more days from any class may be
required to provide a Doctor’s statement in order to excuse future absences. Students who are placed onto an attendance contract may receive disciplinary consequences for failure to comply with school attendance rules and terms of their contract.
Failure to follow check-in or check-out procedures constitutes a class cut.
Students failing to adhere to CHS policy will be referred to an administrator for appropriate action.
To check-in/check-out, a written request from a parent/guardian is required stating:
1. The reason for a tardy arrival to or early dismissal from school.
2. The student’s homeroom section
3. A daytime phone number for the parent/guardian.
-The request will be verified. If a student does not have a written request from a parent/guardian, the check-in/check-out will be marked as an unexcused tardy or unexcused absence.
-For any check-in after the 8:20 bell has signaled the start of school, students should report directly to class. Students who report late to any class will be marked tardy.
-To check-out, students should take a written request signed by a parent/guardian to the Attendance Window prior to the start of the school day. The attendance secretary will issue a check-out pass to the student stating when the student is authorized to leave campus. This pass must be presented to the classroom teacher in order to be released from class.
-Once on campus, students may not leave campus prior to the dismissal of school without checking-out through the Attendance Office. This includes students who arrive on campus prior to the start of school but who must leave before school begins.
-On Exam Days, on Early Release Days and on days preceding a school holiday, including Thanksgiving, Winter, or Spring Holiday breaks, requests to check-in or check-out must be made in person by a parent/guardian at the Attendance Window.
Excused Absences (FCBOE District Policy: JBD)
Students are allowed to make-up all work missed due to an excused absence. For all absences, a written note of explanation signed by a parent/ guardian is required within five days of the student’s return to school. If your child is absent as a result of a medical appointment, he/she is required that you bring a return to school note from the doctor’s office for the absence. The written note should be turned in to the Attendance Office. Emails and faxes will not be accepted. After five days notes cannot be accepted per district policy. Failure to comply will result in absences being marked as “unexcused”. A doctor’s note may be required for absences over ten days.
Notes are not required for school-sponsored activities. When written documentation is provided, Georgia law excuses absences in the following situations:
1. Personal illness of the student
2. Attendance would be detrimental to student’s health (i.e. medical appointment)
3. Serious illness or death in the immediate family
4. Religious holiday
5. Pre-approved absence
6. Mandate by a court order or a government agency
7. Voting or registering to vote (Not to exceed ½ day)
8. Out-of-school suspension assignment
9. Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous to the student
All other absences not mentioned in the above sections, including absences due to truancy and class cuts, are considered “unexcused”.
Students may request a maximum of six pre-approved absences by providing a written note to their assistant principal 3 days prior to the absence. If approved, the administrator will sign the written note and will send the student to the Attendance Window to obtain a “Pre-Approved Absence” form. That form must be signed by each teacher and returned to the Attendance Window prior to the absence. Pre-approved absences cannot be granted after the date of the absence. All assignments missed during pre-approved absences are due on the first day back to school.
Pre-approved absences may be requested for:
1. College visitations
2. A travel opportunity with educational benefits
3. A graduation or wedding of a close family member
4. A specialized educational experience
5. A circumstance mutually agreeable to the parents and principal
Pre-approved absences will not be granted during final exams except in extenuating circumstances and if submitted in writing and approved by the Principal.